About Me

My photo
I am an army wife with three kids. I live too many miles from any family members but I have a support group of friends here in this high desert that I am thankful and greatful for every single day. I am in a soul search for myself. I have always been a "yes" person. A person who can never say "no". Because of this I have lost Me along the way, and I am tired of being lost. It's time for Jayme to find herself and be happy. The past 6 months have been hard for me. I mean REALLY challenging because like I said, I am an Army wife with three kids and sometimes I have to do things like, you know, on my own. I have another 6-7 months of more challenge ahead of me. But I think I should look at it as 6-7 more months of recreating a better me. A woman who is comfortable in her own skin. Somebody who radiates strength and inner-peace. Somebody who has a closeness with her God and herself. Somebody who can also--finaly--put herself first and use the word "no".

Monday, January 3, 2011

The quest for a clearer mind

I have a busy mind. A very busy mind. At any given moment during the day--or night--I have a million thoughts shooting through my brain like a meteor shower. Shooting stars that stream across the night sky. They zoom and shimmer and sometimes they come all at the same time. At any given time I can be thinking about my kids, doctors appointments, medications, bills that need to be paid, bills that have already been paid, the clothes that need to be washed, the dishes that need to be put away, the house that needs to be sold, my husband, my mom, my other family members, my uneaten lunch, and hey! What's for dinner? Stress, stress, stress.  Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.
What can a girl like me do for a clear and relaxed mind? For that inner peace that I am searching for? My ADHD alone keeps my brain running in such a full force that my insomnia medications had to readjusted just so I could close my eyes at night. Just the simple act of closing my eyes can be difficult. That shooting star effect I mentioned will actually be so bad at night sometimes that I will literaly see flashes of light behind my eyes. Like somebody else has the remote control and flipping through the channels, and I barely get a glimps of the shows that are going past.
So like I said, my brain is busy. I have pondered ways to become relaxed, focused, and less busy-brained. I have tried certain technics in the past. One thing I have tried is to become more organised. I have a wipe-eraser monthly planner on my kitchen wall, and actually it works great! When I remember to write down my appointments. I also have a monthly planner in my purse. I call it the big purple brain because, well, it's purple. And it works great too! When I remember to write down my appointments.
Other things I have tried in the past is routine. I actually discovered that keeping a routine is very important. Not just for myself but for my kids too. We get up, we eat breakfast, the kids go to school, I get my chores and errands done, they come home, do homework, eat dinner, take a bath, and go to bed. All the same things everyday. We are as regular as clockwork. Not too many surprises at our house during the weekday.
All my efforts have not been too futile. They have all worked out to some degree, but I still seem to be scatter-brained. I can't seem to make the hamster stop galloping in the little wheel.
What else can I try? Well, I have decided to make meditation and yoga apart of my routine. I have decided to add it to my daily calander. And why not? I have read so many good things about yoga and meditation. It lowers blood pressure, it relieves anxiety, it increases cogitive thinking, it increases the body's immune system, it helps with chronic pain, and most importantly it CALMS THE MIND!
I have read and read all I can about yoga and meditation and it's benefits so now it's time to give it the old collage try. I have looked on-line for yoga for beginners. There are literaly dozens of sites I can look up for methods, positions, breathing....anything. I can borrow books from the library. I even borrwed a Yoga/Pilates video from a friend of mine, but pilates doesn't interest me as much. I have an instructional play-away thingy that the Army passes out to soldies and spouses called "Chill-Drills". I actually used it last night. It plays veeeery soothing music as a lady speaks veeeeery softly, instructing you on how to breath, focus and relax. It's nice to have. I like to think of it as my little "Meditation For Dummies" instruction manual. When I used it last night, it actually helped me to relax....a lot. I even used it to help my oldest go to sleep. He unfortunatly has insomnia as bad as I do. It put him right to sleep. If my first shot at meditation worked this nicely, imagine the possibilities of practicing it even longer!
This is all apart of my plan. You know? The plan to recreate Jayme. I need to relax. I need a calm mind. I need to get to the library to see if they have a yoga DVD that I can use instead of going to someplace like Gold's Gym where they charge ridiculous prices for a membership.

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading your post, Jayme, I was thinking, "Deep breathing or some sort of meditation might be a good thing for her to try." And then I got to the end and found that you didn't need my help. You're already several steps ahead of me. Sometimes I do some meditative breathing when I'm having trouble. I'll say out loud what's bothering me the most, set the timer for 5 or 10 minutes, unplug the phone, then sit and think of nothing but each breath that goes in and out, in and out. If a random thought comes through, like, "what about..." I mentally send it on it's way and go back to just breathing in and out. It's very calming, as you say. But I like the touch of soothing music you talked about. I better not try this at work or while driving (ZZZZZ snore). You're doing a good job of finding answers and I'm real proud of you. -Mom-

    ReplyDelete