About Me

My photo
I am an army wife with three kids. I live too many miles from any family members but I have a support group of friends here in this high desert that I am thankful and greatful for every single day. I am in a soul search for myself. I have always been a "yes" person. A person who can never say "no". Because of this I have lost Me along the way, and I am tired of being lost. It's time for Jayme to find herself and be happy. The past 6 months have been hard for me. I mean REALLY challenging because like I said, I am an Army wife with three kids and sometimes I have to do things like, you know, on my own. I have another 6-7 months of more challenge ahead of me. But I think I should look at it as 6-7 more months of recreating a better me. A woman who is comfortable in her own skin. Somebody who radiates strength and inner-peace. Somebody who has a closeness with her God and herself. Somebody who can also--finaly--put herself first and use the word "no".

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Getting schooled by the way of self help

Isn't that something? Yesterday was supposed to be the saddest day of the year. Isn't that sad? Know why? Because it's time for people that made New Year's resolutions to realise that they are not succeeding at keeping up with their resolutions and their hopes are crashing.That's a real bummer. It's a bummer  that there is a day that can be officially called the "saddest day of the year". It's more sad that that is the reason. So if you made a New Year's resolution , I sure hope you're keeping it. I hope you're not feeling sad because hey! This is still a new year! Get back on the horse and keep riding! I know I certainly am. Even as I write this I am trying to sit in a non-slouching position and willing my back to not hurt. I checked out a book from the library the other day called, 'The Complete Idiot's Guide To Meditation'. Fun title, huh?

Well that's me. The complete idiot when it comes to meditation. I am sucking at it. Or maybe I should say, the brain is sucking at it.  It's so loud in there! My brain is like a two year old in church. So this is how it's unfolding in my brain:

Shhh. It's time to use your inside voice now.

 Inside voice? What's an inside voice!

 Shhh!! Sit down!Settle down!

 What? What's that? Why? But I want to stand in the pews and talk to the lady behind me!

No. Now is not the time for that behaviour. Right now is the time to be nice and quiet and pay attention. So sit down and get quiet. Please!

But we all know that trying to reason with a 2 year old is impossible. So now is the time to bring out reinforcements. Now is the time to read a book for complete idiots and get my "self help" going.

According to this "guide" my body contains seven chakras or energy centers. The first one (Saturn) is located at the base of my spine and the other six are located up through out my body at different locations including the navel, stomach, heart, throat, eyes and head. What it's instructing me to do is to sit and concentrate on my Saturn chakra and "awaken" the energy that lies dormant in this area. My guide instructs me to pretend that this energy is rising up to the next chakra and then the next one, and the next one until my energy has reached the top. (At my brain) Then just as slowly, I need to let it fall back down just the same way it rose, meeting at each chakra. Then if I feel like I can handle it, try to do it all over again.

Last night though, my back was killing me. So I tried to sit and meditate using this new method, but honestly I was in so much pain and so wriggly, trying to get in a new comfortable position that I gave up. So I had to resort to my usual, and might I add satisfying method, of lying down and putting on my headphones and listening to my meditation for dummies "chill-drill".
The guide let me know that these chakras can get blocked. You know, troublesome?
Uh-huh. Okay.
 It also tells me that these blocked chakras can be opened up by a good dose of yoga poses that focus on these certain troublesome spots. Sigh.... I knew it was going to say that. I had a feeling that was going to be the solution.

But! Never fear! This is why I found a book at the library called 'The Complete Idiot's Guide To Yoga'. Hee-hee.
 Would you believe that this book is pretty popular? It wasn't at the library when I looked for it. I had to be put on a waiting list for this book, actually. So right now I don't exactly have the book. Yet. But I will soon! I am like third in que, or something like that. So hopefully soon I will be able to get my hands on this book. Until then I have the internet, right? I've said before that I've learned more from Google than I ever learned in school so I guess it couldn't hurt to use my good old fashioned search engine for research.

I refuse to give up. I refuse to become part of this large percent of sad Americans who gave up on their resolutions. I can't give up because that would mean I gave up on trying to make myself a happier person. You know what? It's a good thing I didn't resolve to lose weight this year. Since I'm all about rewarding myself and all that jazz, I have decided that eating another Oreo can't hurt. I mean I'm not going to go crazy and gorge on cookies and candy, but at the same time, I ain't turning down that second helping of that yummy chocolate cake, thank you very much. Why bother turning it down? Cake makes me smile on the inside, and I really like it when I can smile on the inside. I want to "smile in my liver." :o) So, don't be shocked if you see me eating more than two Oreos at the next social gathering that made the mistake of serving refreshments. I'm just making myself smile on the inside. Hee-hee!

2 comments:

  1. Eat one more Oreo and slice of chocolate cake for your mommy, too, okay? I've been reading quite a bit about the chakras, too. And about deep breathing and relaxing and meditation and how they all go hand-in-hand. It's a good way to get in touch with the holy side of yourself. Some really strange things sometimes happened to me when I truly meditate -- not right then at that very moment, but later in the day; more times than not it will happen just as I'm about to fall asleep. Ask a question, then meditate on it. You will get an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I found my yogic UN-blocking chakra pose yesterday and performed the yoga pose a few times yesterday afternoon and even once again last night before I meditated and it WORKED!! I was able to meditate using my Saturn chakra or "coiled energy". But I think I shouldn't meditate on that chakra that late in the evening ever again. Get this...It made me so wide awake that it took me another hour to fall asleep. This was a side effect from using this chakra. So I decided to use it in the mornings when I wake up and NOT before bed. I'm still learning what's what in this whole Yoga/meditation world. Isn't that funny though? I was totally sceptical about this form of meditation. Now I know that it does in fact work! You should certainly try it, mom. I can vouch for this form of meditation. It really does work! Wow!

    ReplyDelete