About Me

My photo
I am an army wife with three kids. I live too many miles from any family members but I have a support group of friends here in this high desert that I am thankful and greatful for every single day. I am in a soul search for myself. I have always been a "yes" person. A person who can never say "no". Because of this I have lost Me along the way, and I am tired of being lost. It's time for Jayme to find herself and be happy. The past 6 months have been hard for me. I mean REALLY challenging because like I said, I am an Army wife with three kids and sometimes I have to do things like, you know, on my own. I have another 6-7 months of more challenge ahead of me. But I think I should look at it as 6-7 more months of recreating a better me. A woman who is comfortable in her own skin. Somebody who radiates strength and inner-peace. Somebody who has a closeness with her God and herself. Somebody who can also--finaly--put herself first and use the word "no".

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Not so fast, Grasshopper!

Okay so maybe I spoke too soon about yoga and meditation as being easy. Did I say easy? This morning I woke up feeling like I was a thousand pound boulder. I was top heavy. My head was the heaviest part of my giant boulder body. I slept bad. I woke up exhausted. I woke up all night with my back hurting. It's not fair that I'm 34 years old and I have chronic back pain. Some days I feel like a kid in 90 year old body. Yoga and meditation is supossed to help this, right? But who can perform yoga and meditation when you feel like a thousand pound boulder with chronic back pain?
But I still tried. It was clumsy attempt and since I kept hitting the snooze button before I decided to drag myself out of bed, I was also running behind. I didn't have much time to be still and "calm the mind". All I got out were a few painful stretches and a brain full of, "I need to hurry now." ((sigh))
The only thing that I can say for sure is that I am starting to get better at this breathing trick. There is this little trick with the breathing.This breathing technique is called the “Full Yogic breath” or simply Yoga breathing.
Let me give you a quick step by step: 
First, you lie down on your back, relaxed, with hands and legs outstretched, palms up and eyes looking up at the ceiling. Gently close your eyes and relax. (If closing your eyes is even possible)
Step 1: Abdominal breathing
Observe your natural breath. You will notice that as you inhale the abdomen rises and then falls with exhalation. Watch this for a few moments to check this flow. Now begin to deepen, lengthen and extend that movement. That is, while inhaling, let the abdomen rise to its limit and at exhalation let it fall completely. Keep the chest still during this entire process – only move the abdomen so you look like you have a big tummy. Continue this for 20 breaths and then rest.
Step 2: Thoracic (chest) breathing
Again observe your normal breath, this time focusing your attention on the chest. You will notice the chest moving slightly up at inhalation and down with exhalation. Again observe this pattern for a few moments. Now again, begin to deepen, lengthen and extend that movement. This time, on inhalation expand and lift the rib cage, filling the lungs completely. Then on exhalation, let the lungs collapse fully, sinking to the limits. In this step, keep the abdomen still, moving only the chest. Do this for 20 breath cycles. Now you can put them both together....
Step 3: Full Yogic breathing
This combines the above 2 steps in the following way:
First inhale by filling the abdomen and then CONTINUE inhaling as you expand and fill the chest. Then exhale first from the chest as it empties and falls and then CONTINUE exhaling from the abdomen as it draws inwards completely. This is one round of the full yogic breath. Remember the pattern… Inhaling - abdomen then chest; Exhaling – chest then abdomen.

 All of the above steps should be done WITHOUT strain. The natural tendency is to heave with effort. The right way is to make it smooth and effortless. I am supossed to take it slow and easy. As I am breathing like this I feel like the ocean is inside me. The ebb and the flow. The ocean waves that rock quietly as they reach the shore. Usually I start off a little rough but as I go along, I improve.

But like I said, all I could right this morning was the breathing. The brain? yeah right. That poor little hamster in his wheel was going at a good pace. And my body? Yeah right. Trying to force a thousand pound boulder to stretch, as you may already know, is impossible.
There are challenges that lie ahead of me, that goes without saying. I need to remember that some days are going to be better than others.
 So I guess for now, I need to take my back pain medication like I do every single day, and get it through my head that not everyday is going to be as easy as my first attempt. Not everyday am I going to feel like even trying. Not everyday is a good day. But as long as I never stop trying, right? As long as I don't stop looking at the big picture. As long as I can always see the light at the end of the tunnel and know for sure it's not the train.




2 comments:

  1. Years ago, I was finally able to comfortabily meditate when I heard the phrase: "Prayer is when you talk to God....meditation is when you listen to God." It takes practice but soon you will come to a point where you can go into the bathroom, shut the door and be in a meditative state in seconds...a few seconds of "quiet time" is all it takes sometimes to balance yourself. Do it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does take practice, Jayme. But with practice, meditation becomes almost second nature and it doesn't have to take long at all. Five meditative minutes for a busy mother is good. You will see results right away. Sometimes when I am at work, I will do like Paula said and lock myself in the bathroom for three meditative minutes and do some deep breathing exercises. They fill me with energy for the rest of the day. I imagine with each breath I take, healthy energizing air entering through my nose, filtering through my brain then into my arms and legs. Finally I breath out through my mouth, slowly pretending that the air coming out is all the black and sooty -- negative energy built up over the day. Then I take another deep breath of beautiful white/gold healing air and do it all over again. I got rid of a headache doing that one time. Keep it up. It certainly can't hurt you. -Mom-

    ReplyDelete