About Me

My photo
I am an army wife with three kids. I live too many miles from any family members but I have a support group of friends here in this high desert that I am thankful and greatful for every single day. I am in a soul search for myself. I have always been a "yes" person. A person who can never say "no". Because of this I have lost Me along the way, and I am tired of being lost. It's time for Jayme to find herself and be happy. The past 6 months have been hard for me. I mean REALLY challenging because like I said, I am an Army wife with three kids and sometimes I have to do things like, you know, on my own. I have another 6-7 months of more challenge ahead of me. But I think I should look at it as 6-7 more months of recreating a better me. A woman who is comfortable in her own skin. Somebody who radiates strength and inner-peace. Somebody who has a closeness with her God and herself. Somebody who can also--finaly--put herself first and use the word "no".

Saturday, January 15, 2011

My letter to my friend Heather

Dear Heather,
 One day at a time. That's what I'm taking it as. One little teeny, tiny day at a time. Do you rememeber when I lived there in Kansas City and David and Mark were just babies? It was SO HARD for me everyday that I remember telling you that I was taking it crisis by crisis. They were so difficult as babies and I was so all alone then too like I am still (like you are now) because Mark was with Ford (Paul works so much overtime). I was falling apart. Almost literaly. I was losing my hair from the stress. I was so depressed that I was ready to walk out the door and never turn around. I even thought about walking to the Paseo Bridge and jumping off. I was at my lowest for sure. It hurst to remeber those days. I can't ever, ever let it get that bad again. If I had the sense to ask for help back then I think so much would have been better. I should have learned to accept help when it was offered back then and maybe I wouldn't have gone through all that misery. I'm still surprised everyday that I survived my children's baby-hood. But well, better late than never, right? I didn't have answers then like I have answers now. I didn't understand why my kids were behaving so horribly. I didn't understand why I was having these thoughts of jumping off a bridge. Had I called out for help, then I would have been helped. I would have found out early that I was depressed and the kids have ADHD and ODD and so do I. Now things are like...I can't explain it.... better.  Things are just better. I actually received a compliment from my sister! The last time she saw me and the kids, it was over Christmas break. She noted that the boys are behaving better, and I seem to be controling my temper better. That's the first time I have ever recieved a compliment like that. Things ARE getting better. We have a family counselor coming three days a week. I have been following through with disipline, and I have been holding the boys' behaviour to a higher standard. I have everybody on their proper medications with regular visits to our psychiatrist. All this is working because I finaly got smart and cried Uncle. I realized that I just can't handle this circle of insanity anymore. I am sick and tired of watching other people's children behaving  and thinking, "why have I never, ever had that? What am I doing wrong?" Now I have answers. Now I have help. Now that I see how wonderful it can be to ask for help, I'm never turning back.  But honestly, I still have a long way to go. I asked for help with my children first because that was what was on fire first. My family was on fire. It had to be saved first. Now that I have my children protected and safe, it's time to turn my attention to the other aspects of my life. What else is on fire? Me? My friendships? My social life? The way I handle other people's obligations as if they were my own? Yep. That sounds like a good a place to start. Asking for help saved my life. It saved my family. It's still saving us. All I can say is, do the right thing. Asking is hard, I KNOW. But just do it. Even it starts off small. Like accepting rides in the morning for Nathan. I love you so much, Heather. You really are a great mother. It really does get better. I promise.
Jayme
P.S. I like your idea of burning letters and wishes in my sink. I like mom's idea too. Each idea seems to go by the same principal. Asking for help and sending it to God. That seems to be the main theme here, and it's something I am going to try....heck... today! I have a list as long as my arm. I hope I don't overwhem God with all my problems. As if overwhelming God were even a possibility. But seriously, it's a long list.

5 comments:

  1. I knew you were having a hard time then but you only shared a glimpse of it back then. I’m so sorry that we couldn’t help you and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to see the Paseo Bridge the same way again. I’m glad that we can talk more now and be honest that yup I’m falling apart but hey it’s okay. Sounds contradicting though doesn’t it?

    I am doing better with the ride thing for Nathan. It’s hard not to worry about him getting buckled in properly (he has trouble with the seatbelt in their car) and there was a mix up at the school Thursday that had him released as a walker and gave me panicked visions of my 5-year-old deciding to walk home half a mile by himself, but we’re making it.

    Baby steps for me right now. I started accepting help when it affected my children if I didn’t and I’ll work my way up for myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading your blog during those hard times Jayme....what a difference today. Yes, life is still hard but you have the tools and abilities to handle it now and you and Mark have a better relationship. It's nice to see the love you two exhibit and the kids will pick up on that and YES....always ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I did talk to you last night on the phone, I want to say how proud I am of you for making it this far in your journey of life, Jayme. You're still such a great kid! And just like I told you, some of those difficult "journeys" and rocky, crooked pathways you've been on will give you the knowledge to help someone else who is going through something similar. Already, you are helping someone. See?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaymie, your a remarkable lady..You've done so much and so much good for everyone around you. Life is never easy...God never gives you problems/tasks that he does not think you can handle. Asking for his help is the right way to go. We as your friends are here to help you along the way. You may not know it but you have helped all of us in one way or another. Your an "Angel" sent to us to have as friend, sister, daughter, mother and wife. WE love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Robyn, but I wish I knew better to ask/accept help back when the boys were little because I REALLY was given too much to handle. I honestly don't know how I survived. I'm amazed any of us survived.

    ReplyDelete